[wisb] TWO Red-throated Loons at Sheboygan

  • From: jdx14@xxxxxxx
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 19:55:02 EST

Hi all,
        Rick Fare and I made a tour of  the lake front, then up to De Pere,
then back to Milwaukee  on Monday.
        Before sunrise we had the  Black-legged Kittiwake soaring above the
harbor and gazebo area in Port  Washington.
        We then stopped at the house  with the Harris's Sparrow and it came
to the feeder at 7:30 AM sharp.
        Then off to Sheboygan for  the Barrow's Goldeneye and Harlequin
Duck. We could not find the Barrow's in the  river or the river mouth. We then
went to the North Point parking lot and Rick  spotted the male Barrow's
Goldeneye south of the parking lot. So either the bird  from the harbor that
Daryl T. saw went north or there are two Barrow's in  the area. We then made
our way to the gazebo. Halfway there Rick spotted TWO  Red-throated Loons
swimming about 300 yards out.
         I then walked along the  ice right next to the shore and spotted
the female Harlequin Duck as  it swam out into the lake midway between the
gazebo and the parking lot.  There was one Black Scoter mixed in with the
Scaup at the parking lot also.  Two Great Black-backed Gulls and two Glaucous
Gulls were there also.
        We then were off to Shirley Road  and W for the Gray Partridge. As
Michael Sears reported in his post we were  greeted with heavy fog and poor
visibility. We stayed in the area for about an  hour and came up empty
handed.
        Then it was  off to Wehr Nature Center in Whitnall Park for the
Carolina Wren. The  wren came to the feeders almost immediately and put on a
great show for the next  30 minutes.
        Our last stop was at Betsy  Abert's for the Eurasian Collared-Doves
and they did not disappoint. There  were five perched in the tree right in
front of Betsy's house.
        So it was a great end to a great  day of birding!
John Dixon
Brighton Township, Kenosha  Co.