[wisb] More on the Gray Partridge

  • From: "Bettie R. Harriman" <bettie@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 20:16:58 -0600

Sunday a few members of the Oshkosh Bird Club had a field trip in the
general Fox Valley area.  One of our target species was Gray
Partridge.  We got to the Shirley Road and W intersection around
11:30/noon (I think) and just as we rounded the corner a Cooper's
Hawk flew from the SE corner area barn area to the spruce tree on the
NE corner.  We could not find the partridge.  Drove up and down both
roads for a half hour or so.  I was CERTAIN the birds were there and
as we approched the intersection again from the west on Shirley, I
scanned the corner field carefully and slowly - and there they
were!  About 7-8 of them were hunkered down beside the dirt clumps -
almost invisible.  They did not move the entire time the four of us
looked at them and had not moved the entire 30 minutes or more that
we were in the area - maybe because of the Cooper's?  Amazingly hard
to find in an open field.

Bettie Harriman
Oshkosh