[wisb] Sauk County 1/18 inc. Townsend's Solitare

  • From: tom prestby <jjprestby@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbird <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 18:13:04 -0600

Quentin Yoerger and I birded Sauk County today. Our initial plan to work the
Wisconsin River was derailed by extremely thick freezing fog that did not lift
until around noon. Although annoying, the fog made for a gorgeous coat of hoar
frost on the trees.
We started at Devil's Lake which was far enough from the river to be out of the
fog. It was gorgeous- sunny and completely calm. We made the extremely
challenging trek up the Balanced Rock trail and for the first half hour only
heard distant drumming woodpeckers and crows. As we were about to give up a
medium-sized gray bird flew directly away along the edge of the bluff. Once it
sat on the tip of a juniper in the distance we confirmed our suspicion that it
was a TOWNSEND'S SOLITARE. It made no noise during the observation. As Andrea
noted, the trail is packed down but very dangerous and only recommended for the
adventurous birder with a good pair of hiking shoes. The feeders near the cabin
and Ski Hi orchard were active but nothing unusual was seen.
Elsewhere in Sauk County (west of Devil's Lake to Reedsburg, south to Spring
Green, and along the WI river to Sauk City) our quest for Golden Eagles came up
empty. It was a great raptor day however with 30+ Red-tailed Hawks, 20
Rough-legged Hawks, 10 Bald Eagles, 6 Kestrels, a Coopers Hawk, and a
Sharp-shinned Hawk in various locations. Out of all these raptors, almost every
bird was perched-- only 2 or 3 birds were seen soaring the entire day.
Another noteworthy observation was an abundance of wintering Bluebirds. We saw
a total of 50-60 birds in 9 different groups. This was without much effort as
almost all were seen on telephone and power lines while driving.
Tom PrestbyMilwaukee