[wisb] Starling problems - Walworth County

  • From: "Mariette Nowak" <mmnowak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2011 18:54:12 -0500

We have a nestbox with a hole  about 1 & 3/4" in diameter, which starlings can
fit.  A few years ago we had a Great Crested Flycatcher nest in the box and are
hoping for another nesting this year.  However, starlings have been building a
nest in it, which I removed a couple of times.  About a week ago, I found a
dead Downy Woodpecker in the box.  It's head cavity had been eaten away.  Would
a starling do that?    All I've found in an online search is that they are
aggressive and usurp nest sites from other native cavity dwellers -which I
already knew.  But I found nothing about them actually killing an adult bird..
We also have Red Squirrels in the yard, which are known to eat baby birds.
Would they fit in that size hole?
Today, I decided to leave the box open. at least until I hear flycatchers in my
neighborhood.  Later in the morning, the starlings were on and in our wood duck
house, where several eggs are already laid.  They took out some of the down
feathers covering the eggs.  I put the feathers back, but found more feathers
below the box later in the day.

Is there anyway to prevent this, short of shooting the starlings?

Mariette Nowak
near East Troy, Walworth County