[wisb] Spruce Grouse in Forest County

  • From: "Tom Wood" <tcwood729@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2014 18:40:54 -0500

A Spruce Grouse was picking at the gravel along FR2182 across the road from
the bog I mentioned in my report yesterday. I was able to stand on the
opposite side of the road from the grouse (approx. 15-20 feet away) and
watch it until a USFS truck came by and then it flew into the bog. I have
seen a Spruce Grouse in this exact location once before, but considering all
the times I have been to that spot, I would estimate the odds of seeing one
to be about 5% or less. I haven't been there at dawn or dusk, so perhaps the
odds improve at those times. I would suggest that once you get 1.3 miles
east of FR2176, drive very slowly and look at both sides of the road. Maybe
you will also get lucky!
No Boreal Chickadees or Gray Jays were seen here today, but a Gray Jay was
in the bog .3 miles west of FR2414.
As a follow-up to yesterday's report of the Black-backed Woodpecker in Vilas
County, I drove Firelane Road today and this time noted the location. It was
1.8 miles east of Old 45. I didn't stop to look or listen for it today,
since I had allotted myself only a half day for birding, and Spruce Grouse
was at the top of my wish list!
Thomas Wood, Menomonee Falls, Waukesha County