[wisb] Why?

  • From: Al Schirmacher <alschirmacher@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: ksbird-l <KSBIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, mou-net <mou-net@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, birdchat <birdchat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 06:45:39 -0500

Why Do We Bird?
Have long pondered our motivation for birding.  These ten resonate with me:

* The collection instinct.  Many of us collected stamps, coins, dolls, trains
etc as children, and never really outgrew it:). Come on, listers, admit it....

* The appreciation factor.  We spend much of our lives resolving issues; beauty
renews us.

* Exercise.  Just speaking personally, if I attempt to bird without leaving my
vehicle and walking, the joy is minimized.

* Growth.  Birding keeps us learning and growing.  We discover we're part of a
much wider world, with multiple dimensions and facets.

* Contrast & variety.  The sameness of life is broken up.  It needs to be.

* Social interaction.  Many birders lean towards introspection, introversion,
even isolation.  But we also desire relationship, and a shared passion
facilitates this.

* Worship.  True for some, not others.

* Expressiveness.  Birding comes out in, and enriches, our verbal and
non-verbal communication.  I preach and write poetry, find birds woven
throughout.

* Healing.  Peace can come through observation, appreciation, contemplation.

* Fun!

Al Schirmacher
Muscotah, KS

(No rights reserved)