[wisb] Re: Spotted Towhee -- Nine Springs/Madison

  • From: Schaufenbuel <schaufenbuel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcwood729@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 14:52:43 -0500

Yes, this bird does show some hybrid features.  Though the lack of spots
on back may mean it is a still moulting into a more strikingly spotted
plumage, the extensive white at base of primary feathers combined with
white edged tertials and coverts seem to be key for a hybrid.  One
should listen to the bird's call notes as the Eastern has the familiar
distinct two-part "che-wink" and the Spotted has a rough and rising
"zureee" to help build a case for identification. Quality images of the
bird in flight showing the wing and tail patterns may be difficult to
get, but helpful.

Spots on the back from my experience are very important to ID vagrant
Spotted as the the Great Plains form (most likely encountered in WI?) of
the Spotted has the most extensive back spotting (possibly a
species-level isolating mark from the near-adjacent Easterns).  Suspect
birds with the combination spotted wings and spotless dark backs are
more likely hybrids.  But, Northwest forms (another source of vagrants)
of Spotted have little back spotting and here again is where the
extensive white patch at primary base and calls may be the deciding
factors among Spotted, Eastern or Hybrids.

Joe

--
Joe Schaufenbuel
Stevens Point

Spots on the back from my experience are very important to ID vagrant
Spotted as the the Great Plains form (most likely encountered?) of the
Spotted has the most extensive back spotting (possible a specific
isolating mark) and hybrids with he combination spotted wings brown