[wisb] Re: Spotted Towhee -- Nine Springs/Madison

  • From: "Tom Wood" <tcwood729@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 21:38:48 -0500

I do not have experience with the hybrid Eastern Towhee X Spotted Towhee,
but Sunil's images seem to show that combination.
Specifically, the white at the base of the primaries is an Eastern Towhee
field mark, and none of the field guides I own show white in that location
on a Spotted Towhee. His photos seem to roughly match  Sibley's painting of
that hybrid. Do any of you more knowledgeable birders have an opinion?
Thomas Wood, Menomonee Falls, Waukesha County