[wisb] Shorebird Identification Needed

  • From: thomas657@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 22:20:35 -0400

For the past few days, I've gone over to Wales Community Park to check out the
retention pond where I periodically see a couple different birds.   For the
most part, it has been Killdeer, and the usual visitor, a lone Great Blue
Heron.

But, there have been two birds of one species, and sixteen of another.  I'm not
particularly good at identifying shorebirds (or many others for that matter),
so I am asking for some help identifying.

Unknown bird #1:  It may be a Spotted Sandpiper.   I don't think it is a
Yellowlegs.  Your thoughts?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22836210@N03/7897693864/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22836210@N03/7897693356/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22836210@N03/7897692966/in/photostream/

Unknown bird #2:  At first I thought these were Sanderlings.  But, the colors
are more brown, so I am thinking it may be a Semipalmated, or Least.  Your
thoughts?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22836210@N03/7897696600/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22836210@N03/7897697482/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22836210@N03/7897697064/in/photostream/