[wisb] Mockingbird, Waukesha Co

  • From: Jesse Ellis <calocitta8@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 21:22:39 -0500

Passing on a post on the Wisconsin Birding facebook group (open to all,
come join). He noted that I shouldn't edit out the safety part.
Jasonn Weber:
"This afternoon at around 3:50 I observed a northern mockingbird in flight
on my drive home. This was along Calhoun Rd about 150-200 feet north of
Coffee Rd. It was about 1/2 way between the bridge and Coffee rd. This is
in eastern Waukesha county. I was able to first id it from about 100 feet
away after heading north from the coffee rd / calhoun intersection. As fate
would have it, it crossed the road east to west right over my car and I was
able to see it through my open sunroof from about 20 feet to cinch the id.
It then perched on an exposed branch. Thankfully the car in front of me
didn't stop suddenly, because I wasn't looking. I went back and looked
again when I had time at close to 7:30 and was able to hear it, but not see
it again. I scanned to the west where I was hearing it, but the light was
horrible and couldn't find it. This road is very busy and will present a
challenge to anyone trying to find it. There is no parking on the west side
of the road. If you look, the best choice is probably to park in the
preserve subdivision a little to the north and then walk the road, but
please keep in mind there is quite a bit of traffic and be safe."
Jesse Ellis,
Madison, WI

--
Jesse Ellis