[wisb] Sharpie gets breakfast...

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 09:08:20 -0600

While eating my own breakfast this morning, I saw all the Juncos in the yard
suddenly flush.  Catching movement out of the corner of my eye, I saw the yew
shrub near the patio shaking, and then a Sharp-shinned Hawk with something in
its talons hopped out.  I was reaching for the binoculars to see what it had
bagged when it took off, landing in a spruce tree in the neighbors' yard.  I
got a quick glimpse at its prey before it dropped down out of sight behind the
wooden fence - looked striped, so I'm hoping it was a House Sparrow.  (If only
they could be trained to ONLY eat House Sparrows and Starlings...)

Based on the agitated Crows (and lack of other birds) in the neighborhood, it
may be hanging around, although we also have Cooper's Hawks around.

Peter Fissel
Madison, Dane Co.