[wisb] Columbia Co. Saturday

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 09:16:00 -0600

I forgot to post that after lunch yesterday, I took a foggy spin up in Columbia
County.  As expected, things were pretty quiet - only saw two raptors, a buteo
of unknown species across Hwy 51 from the Dane Co. airport, and a Red-tail on
Ramsey Rd. south of Goose Pond in Columbia Co.  There was a good-sized flock of
Am. Tree Sparrros and about 40 Mourning Doves at the RR track crossing on
Kampen Rd. at Goose Pond.  Didn't see any EC Doves (or much of anything else)
in Arlington.  There was a small flock of six E. Bluebirds on County CS, just
west of the entrance to the MacKenzie Center.  The Mac itself was pretty quiet
- I managed to pish out a couple of RB Nuthatches and a few Am. Goldfinches
from the pine plantation, but very little else.  Other then scattered Horned
Larks and a flock of Juncos and Tree Sparrows, hardly anything flushed off the
roadsides, either.

Peter Fissel
Madison, Dane Co.