[wisb] Second oldest N. Shrike in North America

  • From: Ryan Brady <ryanbrady10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "ashlandbirders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ashlandbirders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2014 12:14:42 -0600

Some of you may recall the story I posted last year  (http://bit.ly/PtyMRb)
about the oldest known N. Shrike in North America, which I had banded here in
Ashland. I did not see that bird this winter, though I wasn't out looking very
much.

However, this past week we discovered another bird is giving that one a run for
its money. On Saturday 29 March 2014 Tim Oksiuta spotted a color-banded shrike
just west of Ashland and reported the color band combination to me. Turns out I
had banded this bird, within a hundred yards or so of where Tim saw it, seven
years earlier to the day on 29 March 2007. I think I had only seen it one other
time in that seven-year gap and that was quite a few years ago.

Given the bird was in its first year when banded (based on molt), we know it
hatched in summer 2006, making it 7 years, 9 months of age and, according to
USGS Bird Banding Lab records, the second oldest Northern Shrike known in North
America. Way to go, Tim!

Ryan Brady
Washburn, Bayfield County, WI
http://www.pbase.com/rbrady