[wisb] Shiocton-4/4/14

  • From: Andrew Reimer <andrew.reimer21@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Bird Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2014 11:23:47 -0500

Drove out to Shiocton this morning to witness the Spring Spectacle.  Was
not disappointed.
Started off very well with a sighting of a Pileated Woodpecker crossing
over a farm field along Hwy. A on my way in.  But the highlight, as Rob
pointed out yesterday, is the flock of Tundra Swans along Hwy. 54 just east
of the landing strip outside of Shiocton.  When I arrived, there were maybe
400 of the white birds in the cut corn stubble, but that swelled to 750+ as
more flights came in from the east.  It was quite spectacular.  I then
worked my way back north along Hwy. 187, then east on Hwy. P where there
was a smattering of swans, bluebills, and Canvasbacks in flooded fields set
back along the woods.  Where Hwy. P intersects with Van Patten Rd. the
river flows quite close to the road providing great views of Hooded
Mergansers and Buffleheads.  But the main event was the flooded fields on
the north end of Van Patten Rd. which held another 300 swans, many of which
were very close to the road as apparently, I must've been the first person
to drive through this morning.  Other waterfowl included Northern
Shovelers, Ring-neck Ducks, a few more Canvasbacks, and one pintail in
addition to cranes, geese, Mallards, etc.  Three Tree Swallows were
firsts-of-the-year for me, as were two Killdeer, and one Wilson's Snipe.
 The ponds near the observation platform on the south end of Van Patten are
basically frozen over, although a few geese and Hooded Mergansers were
occupying the open puddles along the melted margins.  I drove home by way
of Hwy. 54 through New London, and there were several hundred more Tundra
Swans in the fields west of Shiocton as well as the usual waterfowl. I did
not sight any other species of geese besides Canada.  Complete list below.

Mack SWA, Outagamie, US-WI
Apr 4, 2014 8:00 AM - 9:00 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
Comments:     Observations between Shiocton and along Van Patten Rd.
 Pileated Woodpecker sighted nearby en route as a flyover of a farm field.
27 species (+1 other taxa)

Canada Goose  X
Tundra Swan  1000
Mallard  X