[wisb] Re: Ruby-throated Hummer - Pickett

  • From: Chris West <little_blue_birdie@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "elaineseverin@xxxxxxxxx" <elaineseverin@xxxxxxxxx>, "[Wisb]" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 10:24:38 -0500

I should probably use this as a quick reminder to everyone to leave your
hummingbird feeders up and full!
Oct 15 is the WSO's "cutoff" late date for Ruby-throated Hummingbird (that is,
any Ruby-throat after today is considered a late straggler).
That means that any hummingbird at your feeders from now til spring should be
carefully scrutinized to be certain which species it is as the likelihood of
vagrant hummers goes up the closer we get to winter.

Happy Birding! --Chris W, Richland CountyTour leader Swallowtail Birding Tours
https://www.facebook.com/Swallowtailbirdingtours?ref=hlhttp://swallowtailedkite.blogspot.com/
  http://www.flickr.com/photos/swallowtailphoto

Interpretive Naturalist Mississippi Explorer Cruises
http://mississippiexplorer.com/chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its first
material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again inspire the
composer; but when the last individual of a race of living things breathes no
more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be
again."

(From William Beebe's "The Bird: Its Form and Function," 1906)