[wisb] Ruby-throated Hummer - Pickett

  • From: Swanson <elaineseverin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdnet <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2013 21:59:48 -0700 (PDT)

Late afternoon, I returned home from working in my prairie of thistles -
feeling tired and grumpy.  As I entered the house, I looked through the front
window and was amazed to see a little hummer at my feeder.  It had been 3 weeks
since my 2 remaining feeders had any visitors.  I quickly mixed up a fresh
sugar solution - and dashed out to get my new feeder w/the higher perch already
stored for the season.  The little bird appeared several more times for quick
sips.  I imagined she was also visiting the petunias and asters for real
nectar.  Sun was setting by the time I hung the new feeder where the old one
had been.  Back she came, drinking from each port, now resting on the new
perch.  Sugar water was still slightly warm - just what a nightcap should be.
I imagined how the simple act of mixing up a bit of sugar water might somehow
affect a tiny life force fluttering against all odds crossing hundreds of miles
over the Gulf of Mexico
 to a warmer space in Central America.  Will she be outside my window in the
morning?  For now, I'm doing cartwheels inside - grumpiness gone.

Elaine Swanson
FDL County
rural Pickett