[wisb] Ross's Goose in Veterans Park lagoon? (Milwaukee)

  • From: "B.G. Sloan" <bgsloan2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 11:25:33 -0700 (PDT)

I'm pretty sure there's a Ross's Goose mixed in with a flock of Canadas in
Veterans Park lagoon in Milwaukee. I went home thinking "Snow Goose", but in
looking at my Sibley's I started to shift the ID more towards Ross's.

Small bird. Head barely clears the backs of some of the larger Canadas when
standing on the ground. Bill appears stubbier than Snow's. No discernible "grin
patch". None of the staining that sometimes appears on Snow's heads.

Caveat: I've been wrong with IDs before (e.g., the Red-necked Grebe incident),
so this could just be a small Snow Goose that sorta looks like a Ross's. Either
way, it's a new BIGBY bird for me. :-)

Last seen at 12:45PM, with a largish flock of Canadas, near the paddleboat
rental place.

Bernie Sloan
Milwaukee