[wisb] Robins & Scuds

  • From: "Mariette Nowak" <mmnowak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 14:24:05 -0600

To answer a couple questions on this:

I sent photos of one of the scuds to Phil Pelliteri, of the UW Madison
Insect Diagnostic Lab, and he confirmed that they were scuds.

Also,  while I guess we'd  need to examine the robins' stomachs to confirm
without a doubt,
it did appear that the robins were eating the scuds.  They  were standing at
the edge of a little stream and pecking along the water's edge.  They would
seem to close their beaks on something they got in the water.  Others would,
instead, pull out a bit of algae  and examine it a bit and then toss it
aside onto the snow.  I went over to the edge of the stream and pulled out a
bit of algae  (Chara sp.) and shook it over the snow and found  some little
grubs.  I took these home and on closer look I thought they were scuds, but
wanted a
professional ID.  So my husband took photos which we sent by email to Phil,
who confirmed my identification.

Thanks for the responses to my email.

Mariette Nowak, East Troy, Walworth County