[wisb] Report -- WSO Field Trip along Lake Michigan today

  • From: "Tom Schultz" <trschultz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "WISBIRDN" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2010 20:10:45 -0600

Nearly 50 people gathered in 12-degree temperatures around 8:00 AM at South
Shore Yacht Club in Milwaukee for WSO's annual field trip.  Unfortunately,
the very cold weather of recent days resulted in the harbor's being frozen
over, so the numbers of waterbirds present there were greatly reduced --
with mostly Canada Geese and a few other ducks standing on the ice.  Within
about 30 minutes the group headed north to the harbor near the mouth of the
Milwaukee River (behind the Summerfest grounds), and found some very large
rafts of ducks, numbering perhaps 5,000 birds!  They were mostly Greater
Scaup, with some Lessers mixed in, and a variety of others, including Common
Goldeneye, a couple of Redheads, a Ruddy, a Red-breasted Merganser, and a
few Common Mergansers.  A pleasant surprise was the sighting of a Snowy Owl
on top of the distant breakwater.  From there, we moved north to the North
Point Snack Bar, but didn't stay long as there was lots of ice and few
ducks.  We then traveled a little further up the shore to the area of the
former gun club (north of Bradford Beach).  There were rafts of more of the
same diving ducks here, along with a few Buffleheads, and a robin was also
observed.

Our next stop was Port Washington, where a good portion of the harbor is
still ice-free.  The first bird we spotted upon arrival was the Black-legged
Kittiwake, which was cooperatively flying about near the south parking area.
We later had additional great views of this attractive first-year bird --
mostly in flight, but sometimes on the water.  Also present were a couple of
Glaucous Gulls (adult and first year) and 6-8 Great Black-backed Gulls of
various ages, as well as a nice quantity of ducks and lots of Canada Geese.
New to the list were Hooded Mergansers, a Canvasback, a Northern Pintail,
and Black Ducks -- along with a Coot.   A big surprise was provided by the
flyover of a Red-shouldered Hawk.

From there we drove north to Lake Church (along Hwy. D) where a Harris's
Sparrow has been present at some feeders on the east side of town.  A couple
of people spotted it immediately, but then the bird disappeared for a long
time.  Some birders left after about 30 minutes of waiting, and others were
preparing to do so when the sparrow finally made another appearance, and
everyone still present had some good views.  The group continued north to
Sheboygan, initially to the Blue Harbor Resort complex where we were treated
to excellent views of the Barrow's Goldeneye just across the river, in the
company of lots of Commons.  We then drove to the north of the harbor and
found the Harlequin Duck that has been present just beyond the frozen shore,
although the sleeping bird provided less than ideal views.  Rather amazing,
given the season, was a Brown Thrasher that was spotted right across the
road, along the top of a residential bluff.  We wrapped up the field trip
about 2 PM.

It was a great day to be out birding in the sunshine, but it seemed that
this year's icy lake conditions resulted in far fewer gulls than normal --
and unfortunately no Thayer's or Iceland were spotted.  Thanks to Jeff
Baughman for co-leading this trip, and to everyone who attended.

Tom Schultz
WSO Field Trips co-chair
Green Lake Co.