[wisb] Devil's Lake Sp - Lower Mud Lake Birdies

  • From: Andy P <andypaulios@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2010 18:31:42 -0800 (PST)

Hi Folks,

Three of us hiked through the snow today to look for the reported Solitaire at
Devil's Lake.  No luck but we did hear some call notes that were suggestive.
There was a lone Shrike at the jct of South Lake Road and Burma Road.  Sauk
County had a few nice rough-legs, red-tails, eagles, cooper's, and a kestrel.
Probably would have been a good day to see a Golden Eagle.  Lots of turkeys out
and about.

In Dane County on Dunlap Hollow Road we had 4 Bluebirds.

On Lower Mud Lake this afternoon were 70+ Tundra Swans, goldeneye, common
merganser, mallard, Canada Goose, the drake Canvasback and a lone Snow Goose.
The Snow Goose flew in to roost at 4ish so it may be out in the fields east of
town during the day.

Babcock Park had a ruddy duck and a lesser scaup.   "Chip" the winter wren was
carpetbagging in my garage again.

Andy Paulios
McFarland, WI