[wisb] Re: Red-tailed hawk electrocuted

  • From: Daniel Gómez-Ibáñez <dgi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: WISBIRD <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 20:21:44 -0600

The local electrical utility could be told about this -- they have simple
plastic shrouds called squirrel guards that can be installed easily on pole-top
transformers. These insulate the high-voltage wire near the transformer and
prevent (or make much less likely) a squirrel or bird from getting electrocuted
by touching both the transformer case (which is grounded) and the hot wire.

Daniel

On Feb 22, 2013, at 11:18 AM, Kelly Rueckheim <rueckel@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This morning a grade school teacher brought in a Red-tailed hawk that she and
> her husband found on their farm.  She told me that they occasionally would
> find a dead squirrel at the base of an electrical pole that had a transformer
> on it.  Their breaker box would be tripped every time this happened.  Last
> night they found a dead fox squirrel and the dead hawk at the base of the
> pole.  They both got zapped at the same time unfortunately.   We contacted
> our local game warden this morning and will be doing an educational mount of
> the hawk for her classroom.
>
> Kelly Rueckheim - Hillsboro, Vernon County####################
> //www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn
> //www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn

Daniel Gómez-Ibáñez
Madison, Dane County