[wisb] Red-tailed hawk electrocuted

  • From: Kelly Rueckheim <rueckel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 17:18:53 +0000

This morning a grade school teacher brought in a Red-tailed hawk that she and
her husband found on their farm.  She told me that they occasionally would find
a dead squirrel at the base of an electrical pole that had a transformer on it.
 Their breaker box would be tripped every time this happened.  Last night they
found a dead fox squirrel and the dead hawk at the base of the pole.  They both
got zapped at the same time unfortunately.   We contacted our local game warden
this morning and will be doing an educational mount of the hawk for her
classroom.

Kelly Rueckheim - Hillsboro, Vernon County####################