[wisb] Red-necked Phalarope - New Berlin Rec Trail

  • From: Tim Hahn <thahnbirder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2012 20:44:08 -0500

Jasonn Weber posted to the WI Facebook group that he found a Red-necked
Phalarope along the New Berlin Rec Trail this morning, along with a number
of other shorebirds. I was able to relocate the bird just before sunset.
The pond on the north side of the trail is very easy to view and the ends
are essentially mudflats. The RNPH was at the east end of the pond, not
more than a hundred fifty feet it so from the trail!  Also present were
Solitary, Spotted and Least Sandpipers, and Lesser Yellowlegs. Along the
edge of the pond were about 100 Cedar Waxwings doing their best flycatcher
impersonations, while about the same number of Northern Rough-winged
Swallow occupied the airspace above the pond.  This says nothing about the
marsh on the south aide of the road which could hold any number of
surprises. Maybe a Yellow-crowned Night Heron?!  I would have done a better
job checking, but as I type this I also walk back in the dark.
Cheers!

Tim Hahn
New Berlin, WI