[wisb] Red Crossbills still present at Forest Beach this morning.

  • From: David Freriks <dhfreriks@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisconsin birding network (E-mail)" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 13:41:10 -0500

Hi all,
   Andi and I spent a couple of hours at Forest Beach Preserve this
morning. We had a large flock of Red Crossbills fly into the dead tree just
SE of the parking lot as soon as we got out of the car.  There are
definitely 100+ birds on the property and they are moving around a lot.
Most of the birds seemed to be east and south of the parking lot while we
also found smaller flocks taking the trail NW of the parking lot. We
noticed them several times fly down into the small ponds in the area....
they didn't seem to be drinking, but rather were picking through the mud
for something. The lighting was pretty atrocious this morning, but some
photos are at the top of the page
http://www.pbase.com/dhfreriks/new_photos

Dave Freriks
Saukville /  Southern Ohio.