[wisb] Re: Red Crossbills still present at Forest Beach this morning.

  • From: Jesse Ellis <calocitta8@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bgsloan2@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 14:42:43 -0500

I wonder if these guys have some unusual nutritional requirements or salt
needs or something. In Oregon I have seen Red Crossbills visiting fire pits
and eating ashes. White-wings will regularly gather on gravel roads and
grit, too, of course.
Jesse Ellis
Madison, WI

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 2:40 PM, B.G. Sloan <bgsloan2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Are the birds in the mud looking for grit? BNA Online says: "Takes grit
> regularly from road cuts, stream banks, and bases of uprooted trees".
>
> Bernie Sloan

Post-doctoral Researcher
Dept. of Zoology
University of Wisconsin - Madison