[wisb] Re: Rare Bird Reporting

  • From: Ryan Brady <ryanbrady10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcwood729@xxxxxxxxx>, <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 08:10:19 -0700

This will be my last post on this topic (...I can hear the collective sigh of
relief). Everything I say seems to dig a bigger hole but I just can't let such
confusion reign.

1. In no way am I advocating that photos make write-ups unnecessary - I'm not
even sure how that was construed from anything I wrote.

2. In no way am I advocating that the RC typically gets oodles of
documentations for well-seen rare birds. For example, the Chippewa County
Black-bellied Whistling Duck from last spring was not written up by any of the
many observers. The Pheasant Branch Black-throated Gray Warbler from last
spring was written up by only one person. I could cite many other examples of
cases where everyone expects others who saw the bird will document it and very
few do.

3. Any documentation submitted to WSO for a Review Species, whether the first
or the 20th for an individual bird, will be read, reviewed, voted upon,
archived, and reported on. Nothing you submit will be ignored - ever.

4. My request was 100% specific to the Inca Dove and Scissor-tailed Flycatcher.
We had multiple good photographs and multiple GOOD documentations. The records
are not in doubt. Thus additional write-ups are welcome but not necessary. And
thus I hoped to save you some time and effort. That request has gone miserably
wrong - forget I posted it.

5. Tom, you do great write-ups and their timeliness is very much appreciated.
KEEP IT UP! Don't change a thing.

Ryan Brady
WSO Records Chair (though at this rate maybe not for long)
Washburn, WI