[wisb] Re: Rare Bird Reporting

  • From: "Tom Wood" <tcwood729@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2011 21:51:07 -0600

Steve raises some good points that  I had not thought of. It was always
stressed to us in the past that everyone who sees a bird should submit a
report and
not assume that the other observers would send an acceptable report. Its
hard to teach an old dog new tricks, but  I see his reasoning about the
electronoic age. Images such as Dave Freriiks' photos of the Inca Dove and
Scissor-tailed Flycatcher go way beyond what is required for documentation .
Since most observers now report electronically one way or another , this
information is available to almost everyone. I guess my big hangup is that I
like to write my
report shortly after the sighting and don't want to go through that process
if its not going to be looked at. I guess I could just scribble some rough
notes
and wait to see if anybody sees the bird after I do before writing the
report. It appears I have to think this through a bit more. Thanks to Steve
for his post.

Thomas C Wood,Menomonee Falls, Waukesha County