[wisb] Re: Rare Bird Reporting

  • From: "Tom Wood" <tcwood729@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2011 16:56:13 -0600

The problem I see with this approach is that if the person who makes the
last observation during the stay of the bird does not have enough experience
to ID the bird and just thinks that he saw it, and then reports it, does
this not compromise the integrity of the records? Otherwise, why does the
records
committee go through the painstaking analysis and hard work of evaluating
records at all? I think Bob is emphasizing that the when of what, where, and
when
is also important to the record.
On the other hand, I can see the records committee being overwhelmed with
reports this season due to the large number of recent extralimital
occurrences.
After all, these guys are not being paid, have family and jobs and would
probably like to go birding too. The only solution I can see is to extend
the review
time for submissions. Perhaps the first five submissions can be reviewed to
meet the deadline for the Passenger Pigeon with an explanation that
subsequent records will be reviewed as time is available. I'm sure there are
slow periods when few rarities are observed.
I don't know if Jim Frank uses this forum, but I would be interested to know
what he thinks, and if this situation ever occurred during his ten year
oversight
of the records committee. Future ornithologists will have no doubt that the
records during those 10 years were of the highest quality. I don't know how
Jim
found the time, but all his analyses were well thought out and well
explained. If I had a question or concern, Jim would send me a detailed,
prompt answer.
These are just my thoughts and there may be better solutions.

Thomas C Wood,Menomonee Falls,Waukesha County