[wisb] Raptors in Ashland

  • From: Erik Bruhnke <birdfedr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 20:27:05 -0500

I spent much of today getting situated in beautiful Ashland, and preparing
to teach field ornithology. This afternoon I took a walk to the local
grocery store, and with the 40 minute round-trip walk from my apt, to the
store and back, I tallied up 3 Sharp-shinned Hawks, 3 Broad-winged Hawks, 1
Red-tailed Hawk, 1 Turkey Vulture, and at least 2 very vocally-energetic
local Merlins, making their presence known. I walked today with binoculars,
just in case if some migrants happened to move on by! It has been several
weeks since I saw conditions this good for raptor migration (at least from
living in Duluth). Clouds were scarcely-seen today, and the winds were out
of the south. What a day for migration!
Around Northland College's campus, are several White-throated Sparrows (my
first of the year), Eastern Phoebe, and many of one of my favorite birds...
the American Robin. They are such a treat to see, even for as common as they
are :-) Another fun tidbit is that just above my 2nd-floor apartment, is a
pair of Rock Pigeons that call throughout the day.

Good birdwatching,
Erik Bruhnke
Ashland, WI

--