[wisb] 2 major discoveries, Oshkosh

  • From: paul bruce <rdjn560birdcrazy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 18:29:59 -0700 (PDT)

     Good Friday evening  ---   Just checking my emails and, having checked
Laurie's post about the "Titan" web-cam,  well,  I need a refresher.  I thought
female peregrines were supposed to be brownish, not just the juveniles. So
please, some feedback, are females the same coloring as males, as naive as I'm
admitting to be?  Because if so then, "Titan's"  male friend as I thought him
to be is actually a FEMALE?,  which would explain the eggs.  And boy have I
been thrown for a loop. I  checked my bird guide and the descriptions mentioned
were that the juvies were brownish. Almost want to say, how embarrassing, guess
we learn stuff every day. And speaking of using my bird guide the other
discovery I made was also today.
  Re: the night call I had the other night, I was hashing that call in my mind
over at work and then it hit me.  I failed to think of Asian thrushes. Having
not seen the bird was the biggest downfall.  I just need to find something that
has foreign thrush calls.  Would anyone have such the resource or where to find
it?  The closest thing I came up with in my Nat'l Geo guide was either an
Eye-browed ( a high pitched drawn out dzeee) or Dusky Thrush, ( a shrill wheezy
shreee).  I'll check with Youtube and see if there's an answer, or hopefully
some other internet source.
   Wish me luck,  'cause I can still hear that call fresh in my memory.
   Paul Bruce,  Oshkosh