[wisb] Racine Co. Woodcock walks at Cliffside Park

  • From: Jennifer Wenzel <miloloki@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 06:10:05 -0500

Hi All,
Hoy Audubon Society is hosting two Woodcock walks at Cliffside Park in
Racine Co. starting this week Wednesday night. It looks like there's a
slight chance of some showers tomorrow, but I thought I'd share the info
in case the weather holds up and some of you would like to join us!
Here are the details...

Wednesday, April 13th and April 20th
Evening Woodcock Walks

  Cliffside Park (Racine Co.)
Meet at 7:00 P.M. (or 5:30 P.M.)
Conclude at 8:30 P.M.

    Listen to the peents and view the aerial dances of the twittering
"Timberdoodle" at twilight.

    Cliffside Park is located on the lakefront in northeast Racine
County, north of 6 Mile Road and east off of Michna Road.
    Meet by 5:30 P.M. at Picnic Area #2 (near the yellow gate).  While
there is daylight, we'll bird along the main trail north of the yellow
gate for spring migrants and may go as far north as the bluff
overlooking Lake Michigan to view waterfowl.
    Or, Meet by 7:00 P.M. at Picnic Area #2 (near the yellow gate).
We'll walk the trail to the north and await the display of the American
Woodcock.

        The American Woodcock may begin call around 7:30 P.M. or 8:00
P.M.  (depending if skies are overcast or clear).  Some of the trails
may be wet from recent rainfall, so it is advised to wear _waterproof
footwear_.  A _warm jacket and gloves_ are suggested.

Jenny Wenzel
Caledonia
Racine Co.