[wisb] Re: RFI: KM South red crossbills?

  • From: Mike Duchek <mikeduchek@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2012 11:48:54 -0500

Thanks Cynthia.  I went this morning.  Took a little walk into the Emma Carlin
trails before driving down toward Stute Springs where I met, I believe,
Margaret Jones.  Neither of us had any red crossbills the entire time (maybe an
hour and a half).  Along the Stute Springs trail there though next to the
spruces were some migrants.  Multiple black throated green warblers, a hooded,
and a redstart.  Had a brief look at one I swore had an all gray hood but then
it disappeared on me.  Heard something singing that said vireo to me.  My guess
was blue-headed but turned out to be yellow-throated but at least I was half
right.  Also an assortment of flycatchers in the area and a lot of red-eyed
vireos.  Overall it was a good spot this morning despite no crossbills.  I also
stopped at UW Waukesha Field Station for a brief walk.  Nothing notable and
around then it began to rain steadily, which it looks like it'll continue to do
now for a while.  -Mike Duchek, Waukesha, Waukesha Co.