[wisb] Quick trip report, Central and SW Wisconsin

  • From: Jerry <jerry937975@xxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 21:54:07 -0500 (EST)

Just got back from spending 3 days auto touring various parts of the state.
Here's some of the bird highlights:

Mud Lake in Madison held much of what was suspected based on ebird reports...
a good number of Tundra Swans, lots of Coots, Shovelers and Gadwall and a few
Ring-neced Ducks. A Bald Eagle seemed to capture the attention of most of the
waterfowl.

Buena Vista Marsh was super dead. We did pick up 4 Praire Chickens rather
quickly but the raptor show I hoped for amounted to nothing more than a single
Red-tailed Hawk. A couple flocks of redpolls were seen and the most stunning
view I've had yet of a Hoary Redpoll. While a flock of 60 some birds flew, the
Hoary stuck out like a sore thumb. I stopped the car as the birds flew from the
road and told my wife I saw a Hoary in the flock. She's like, "you saw a Hoary
while it was flying..."  I said, "yep!". The bird was so pale there was no
problem at all seeing it either in flight or as the flock fed on weeds. It
perched above us for a minute to get great views (and a couple of lousy through
the windshield photos) of the underside.

From Buena Vista we roughly followed Hwy. 54 to Black River Falls. The forest
roads were totally empty save a few crows and ravens. One feeder had activity
but as soon as we stopped the homeowner came out the front door spooking all
the birds so we kept going.

A number of Golden Eagles had been reported northeast of Alma so we spent most
of Saturday morning zig zagging the roads in that area. Saw a number of Bald
Eagles but struck out on any Golden Eagles. One highlight was a flock of Red
Crossbills gravelling on the road. Below the dam at Alma we saw the Harlequin
Duck that's been reported by many and 77 eagles.

Trempeauleau N. W. R. held a couple of Northern Shrikes and a nice
Red-shouldered Hawk at the entrance.

The bird feeding area at Goose Island held the usual tame birds with close
looks and good photo ops at Hairy Woodpecker, Red-bellied Woodpecker and
Titmice among others.

Arrived at Wyalusing S. P. at sundown and were rewarded with calling Barred
Owls on Long Valley Road.

This morning we continued to drive and search the various roads through the
hills of Grant County. Finally we had a Golden Eagle being harassed by a
Red-tailed Hawk over our heads just north of Nelson Dewey S. P. by Cassville.
Along the river right in the town of Cassville we enjoyed another 40 or 50
eagles and 18 Trumpeter Swans. After freezing for an hour trying to photograph
the eagles we called it a day and headed home.

Though we didn't spend too much time outside, we had good enough snow for some
cross country skiing near Black River Falls. Overall a pleasant few days but
too many hours in the car.

Jerry DeBoer
Racine County