[wisb] Possible Great Gray Owl - Sheboygan Co.

  • From: "Carl Schroeder" <carlschroeder@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 19:16:03 -0600

A Great Gray Owl was reported on eBird yesterday.  I spoke with the observer
and obtained the location.  I cannot vouch for the accuracy of her
identification but she seemed credible enough to me that I am going to post
this information.

It was seen at 3:30 pm on Sunday. The description in eBird is "Observed one
bird, noted yellow eyes, large facial disks, large body absence of ear tufts
and call was notably different in tone than the 2 great Horned owls hooting
in the same area"

She told me that the GHOW's started hooting and then she heard a third owl
that did not sound the same, afterward she found the Great Gray Owl as it
flew to a perch in a birch tree. It wouldn't be expected for a Great Gray
Owl to vocalize while not on territory, but maybe it was prompted by the
nearby GHOWs.

The location is Amsterdam County Park which is located on the Lake Michigan
shoreline at the east end of County Road RR/Amsterdam Road. This is just
south of the Cedar Grove Hawk Research Station SNA. To get there you would
take the Hwy 32 Cedar Grove exit off of I-43. Turn east on to Sauk Trail
Road following it as it curves south to its intersection with Amsterdam Rd.
Then east on Amsterdam Rd to the lake.  The observer said that the owl was
seen along the private road called  "Manne Drive" that parallels the
shoreline just west of the park.  Don't drive that road, it is marked
private and is for the residents back in there. But I've walked it at times
and they don't seem to mind harmless birders.

If you are going to try for it, be aware that road conditions today and
tomorrow in Sheboygan County are horrible, treacherously icy. Be safe.

Carl Schroeder

School Hill, Manitowoc Co.