[wisb] Re: Orange-crowned vs. Tennessee Warbler

  • From: "Tom Schultz" <trschultz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn wisbirdn" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 18:11:41 -0500

Thanks, Mike.  Actually the WI eBird article that Ryan provided the link to
is pretty good.  The only thing I would perhaps emphasize a little more is
the important structural differences between the two species -- particularly
in the relative lengths of the tails.

The article does mention briefly that Orange-crowned has a longer tail than
Tennessee, which is certainly true.  Tennessee Warbler has one of the
SHORTEST tails of any warbler, and the projection beyond the white undertail
coverts is noticeably short.  The tail feathers of an Orange-crowned show
much more projection.

This feature can often be seen quite readily in warblers, since they are
often overhead and providing many undertail views!  I agree with Ryan that
more photos of these two species would be very useful for comparisons.

And, also very important (as Ryan mentioned) is the timing, with
Orange-crowned Warblers being a late warbler, and very rare before
mid-September.

Tom Schultz
Green Lake Co.