[wisb] Re: Orange-crowned vs. Tennessee Warbler

  • From: Mike Ramsden <mcramsden@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ryanbrady10@xxxxxxxxxxx>, wisbirdn wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 17:21:18 -0500

In addition to the field marks mentioned in the ebird article, the Peterson
Guide to Warblers relies on the primary tip extension and the tail length as
good ways to tell the Tennessee from the Orange Crowned.  Tom Schultz might
want to chime in on this.  Sometimes the color of the undertail coverts as well
as streaking can depend on angle, distance, light, optics, and wear and is
subjective.  I learned that the hard way.

Mike Ramsden
Beloit, WI