[wisb] Re: Off-topic: Milw. County audit of parks

  • From: "Tom Schultz" <trschultz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "WISBIRDN" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <dkkearns@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 23:00:08 -0600

Kevin,

Congrats on your hard work at controlling invasive plants.  It is indeed
very difficult and time-consuming work, and it requires a lot of personal
dedication.  I have been attempting to do the same thing in my area for a
number of years, including working with a small volunteer crew on
controlling invasives on some of our Green Lake area conservancies.  I have
also done some presentations on this subject, including for our local Arbor
Day program a couple of years ago.  Slowly we have been able to create some
awareness of this growing problem, and a number of people in the area are
starting to do some of this work on their own -- but it is very difficult to
generate sufficient awareness and concern within the general public.

Unfortunately, some of these plants do provide birds with a fall/winter food
supply, and of course means that our feathered friends are contributing
greatly to the spread of the seeds (through their droppings).  Many of these
noxious plants were introduced intentionally by us (humans) as ornamentals
for landscaping, and without any natural controls (such as diseases, insect
pests, or predators) they have spread very easily into our native
landscapes -- and they out-compete most of our native plants.

Unfortunately, many property owners will fail to recognize this problem
until it is too late, and that will eventually mean that most of their oaks
and other mature trees will be gone -- unable to regenerate their seedlings
beneath the dense shade of the buckthorns and other alien plants...

Best of luck to you in your continuing efforts to control the spread of
these invaders, and I hope that everyone interested in the diversity of our
natural plant communities (and their dependent nesting birds) will do their
part to recognize and get rid of these noxious plants!

Tom Schultz
Green Lake Co.