[wisb] Northwoods trip; off topic questions

  • From: Paul Bruce <birdsandfish49@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 23:19:11 -0700 (PDT)

Good evening Wisbirders --    I'm only 7 glorious days until I can say Goodbye
to Winnebago County for 4
wonderfully much needed days in the great green north.  The birds and fish are
waiting for me and I couldn't be
on a cloud-9 any higher than I already am.  So far Tim Oksiuta may be joining
me for some time and I'm sure he's
reading this too, so Tim?  Are you ready? Leaving time for me will be Thursday
morning of the 9th. I'll keep in touch.
If Nick wants to too, Ryan,  perhaps you guys have GPS's  I'll give you my
bro's address when I get there.  I couldn't
be any more hyper than I already am.  Robbye, too. My brother Scott has no
qualms about visitors
  SO, birds around here are either scarce, or I'm unable to "get out".  I vote
for the latter. But I did however get to
see one of the college Peregrine's this afternoon on the watertower.  That was
nice to see.  But in reference to my
off-topic questions, here's 1)  A while back I had a spider question asked
which never got responded to and still puzzled about
it.  Why is it when you blow on an orb-weaver, or even a cellar spider they
shake violently?   2) BOTANY --  I can't
find the following plant/flower in my Peterson Field Guide to flowers, but what
is this really pretty colored rosette shaped
mat of tiny lavender flowers growing in a sandy soil type habitat.  They are
everywhere around Oshkosh Tech. area.
Been bugging me not to ID them.  Any clue on this plant or does someone know
what I'm talking about?
   Best of birding these days before the potential of strong storms enters our
picture for Saturday.
Paul Bruce, Oshkosh, which turns into Iron River,WI on 8/9