[wisb] Osprey -Stoughton

  • From: "pready tds.net" <pready@xxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 22:16:17 -0500

This evening I did some kayaking on the Yahara R. in Stoughton and
checked on the osprey nest in the bay. Doesn't look like any fledged
yet. The male was on top of a utility pole finishing his fish dinner.
This was my first chance to see if it was the same male as the past 12
years. He has a black leg band so I take a photo of him from a
distance to get his legs as much as I can. Then I check for the band.
It is the same male! Osprey researcher Sergej Postupalski believes he
banded this male in S. MI in 1998 when he worked with the DNR there to
return osprey to S.MI. That would make this guy 14 years old. And he
produced 3 chicks this season!! Amazing bird.

Patrick Ready
Dane Co.