[wisb] Northwoods birding today

  • From: Dan Belter <bwhawk1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Bird Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 20:22:05 -0800 (PST)

Myles Hurlburt and I went birding up to the Nicolet National Forest today, and
we saw some good to report on. We started first in Hiles, WI where we checked
out a few feeders along N. Main Street, with the feeders located across the
street from the Hiles Museum producing the best birds. These included about 10
Evening Grosbeaks, 30+ Common Redpolls with one Hoary Redpoll mixed in, and one
female Red Crossbill. The home owner even came out to talk to us while we were
looking at his feeders. He was very friendly and invited us into his driveway
to get better views of the birds at his feeders.

Next we headed into the national forest and stopped at Shelp Lake. After
several minutes of quietly waiting along the roadside, we could hear a
woodpecker tapping on a nearby tree. After several minutes of looking for it,
we found it, and it turned out to be a female Black-backed Woodpecker! The only
other sighting of interest was seeing a Northern Shrike chasing a crossbill
over the tree tops. We continued to bird along Giant Pine Road, making our way
to Pine River Road and headed east of here to Divide Road. We stopped at
several spots along the way, but all of these roads were very slow for bird
activity. We went south on Divide Road a few miles to where there is a nice
boggy area that the road passes by. We stopped here and walked the road for
awhile, and shortly after we started walking, we came upon two Boreal
Chickadees working their way through the trees.

We finished our day with looking for crossbills east of Argonne along Hwy O. We
found the small group of mixed crossbills (Red and White-winged) at one of our
stops and had great views of them.

Dan Belter
Village of Weston
Marathon Co, WI