[wisb] Northern mockingbird - Brown County

  • From: <jmotquin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 16:46:56 -0500

Wouldn't you know it!  The hunting stands produced more good birds than I could
have imagined.  In three days last weekend, I found a NORTHERN MOCKINGBIRD,
pintails, and gadwalls as "yard birds" on my grandfather's farmstead.  The
biggest surprise was a WHOOPING CRANE mixed in with several sandhills.  They
flew rather quickly as I turned the corner, so I had no time to ID any leg
bands at 300 yards.

This was an amazing way to leave the farmstead!  The land is being sold late
this month, and the new owner will not let anyone else out there.  I shall keep
the memories, legacy, and birding magic of those 80 acres alive in my heart and
mind forever!

Jon Motquin
Freedom, Outagamie Co.