[wisb] Horicon Marsh Main Dike Road

  • From: "Rhonda Schrab" <rdzs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 21:50:48 -0500

In spite of the nasty weather had a great afternoon of birding. Started out
in my home woods with excellent look at a pair of brown thrashers preening
and foraging for about 10 minutes at about 15' distance. Then checked Lake
Sinissippi, found 200+ ruddy ducks, several each mallards, bl. wing and gr.
wing teal, about a dozen each canada geese and tree swallows, 1 white
pelican and 6 d.c. cormorants, one of which was right next to shore and
watched him gulp down a bullhead big enough I thought he would choke on it.
Then drove Horseshoe Rd. south of Horicon and found FOY hermit thrush, also
very good looks. Then to Horicon Ledge Park, it was practically devoid of
birds. Highlight was 3 eastern phoebes among 1robin, 1 blue jay and several
crows. On way to Dike Rd. had 2 greater yellowlegs in a flooded field, 1
horned lark and 2 red-tailed hawks. It was late in the day when I got to
Dike Rd. but it was teeming with birds. 9 duck species including redhead,
ringneck, bl.wing and gr. wing teal, widgeon, n. shoveler, gadwall, ruddy
and mallards. Also had female harrier, 5 great egret, 2 dowitcher, 1
immature bald eagle, 1 killdeer, 1 osprey, 3 b.c. night heron, redwing and
rusty blackbirds, grackle, canada goose, gr. bl. heron and 5 lesser
yellowlegs. Also some unidentified sparrows. 50+ species for the afternoon
with 6 FOY. Even though it is miserable I always enjoy the rawness of the
weather on these kinds of days out on the Marsh.
Dave Schrab
Hustisford
Dodge Co.