[wisb] Nine Springs Dane Co

  • From: JAMES F SCHWARZ <jfschwar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2011 22:11:51 -0500

With all the reports of shorebirds in the area I decided to check Nine Springs.

I found none at first. But as I was about to leave the fourth pond, with no
success, a NORTHERN HARRIER came along to help out. The Harrier chased up
around 80 shorebirds from the area that was mowed last year. It is now flooded
in places.

The birds did not stay in the air very long. With low light and a fair distance
I was unable to tell what they all were. The only species for certain were the
Wilson's Snipe.
When the birds landed I was only able to locate a single Snipe.
So if you are looking for shorebirds at Nine Springs it would be good to have a
Northern Harrier with you.

Good Birding.

Jim Schwarz
Madison, Dane Co