[wisb] Costa Rica, fairly short report

  • From: "Seegert, Greg" <gseegert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[Wisb]" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 22:57:27 -0400

All
I birded in Costa Rica for 11 days with a group of Wisbirders organized by Tom
and Carol Sykes.  I want to thank this close-knit group for allowing me to join
them.  There was a recent request on Wisbirdn for info re Costa Rica so I
thought this report might be useful.   I saw way too many birds to follow my
usual format so instead I'll summarize things, mostly by groups and include
info on where we were.  Should also mention that we were fortunate to have
Richard Garrigues, author of "The birds of CR" as our guide.  Speaking of
guides, unless you've had a fair amount of experience birding in Central
America or northern S America, I suggest you go with a group or hire a guide
for your group.  I know lots of you like ID challenges but some of these groups
(e.g., woodcreepers) are very hard to ID, others forage near the tops of 150'
tall trees, and others secretly scurry around on the forest floor where it is
dark and dim even at mid-day.

Our group total was 398 spp, of which I saw 370. This included  19
hawks/falcons/eagles/kites,  15 pigeons/doves, 10 parrots and macaws, 27
hummers, 7 trogons, 4 toucans/aracaris, 5 manakins,
5 motmots, 10 woodpeckers, 14 furnarids (mostly woodcreepers), 8
antbirds/antwrens/antshrikes, 36 flycatchers (you'll need a lot of luck to ID
many of these without a guide),  4 becards, 4 cotinguas, 5 vireos, 13 wrens, 22
wood warblers, 25 tanagers/honeycreepers,  14 blackbird/orioles,  15 sparrows,
6 euphonias, and  numerous other groups.   One thing I did like is that most
jungle birds have fairly low frequency calls (i.e., even with my poor hearing,
I could hear them).

Some of my favorite birds were great tinamou, great curassow, black-breasted
wood -partridge, tiny hawk, laughing falcon, chiriqui quail-dove, white-crowned
parrot, scarlet macaw, mottled owl, violet sabrewing, snowcap (a hummer), tody
motmot, whitenecked puffbird, any toucan, olivaceous piculet (a tiny
woodpecker), chestnut-backed antbird, streak-chested antpitta, eyeringed
flatbill (a flycatcher), scale-crested pygmy tyrant (another FC), lovely
cotingua, three-wattled bellbird, all the manakins,  resplendent quetzal, sooty
thrush, black-cheeked warbler, flame-throated warbler, many of the tangers but
especially bay-headed and spangle-cheeked, Nicaraguan seedfinch and all the
euphonias.

Places we visited were Irazu Volcano, Arenal Volcano, Cano Negro area, the
well-known Monteverde cloud forest, Celeste Mt Lodge, La Selva Biological
Station, and Carara Biological Reserve.  Birding was good to great at all these
places except Celeste Mt Lodge (though it produced some of our rarest birds
like tody motmot and rufous-winged tanager).   I'd say, Arenal, La Selva ,
Carara,  and the Monte Verde area fall into the don't miss category.   At La
Selva , I went down to the cafeteria for breakfast and spotted an ichthyologist
from IN that I knew....small world indeed.

All in all, I heartily recommend CR.  Also, the infrastructure for handling
tourists is excellent so there are plenty of places to stay and bird.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Greg Seegert
Deerfield, IL