[wisb] New Birder and a couple of sightings

  • From: Stuart Malcolm <stuart.malcolm26@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbird <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 20:19:12 -0500

Hi everyone,

After watching this list for a few weeks preparing to move to Wisconsin I
wanted to introduce myself.
My name is Stuart Malcolm and I have just moved to Appleton from England for at
least 3 years.

I have been a birder for 30 years and I'm really looking forward to some great
birding in Wisconsin.

Can anyone send me some links to any useful websites about Wisconsin birding?
Places to go, organizations to join etc would be much appreciated.

I am really pleased to discover that Plamann Park is a short stroll from the
house - a few Hermit Thrushes, Ruby-Crowned Kinglets and Yellow-Rumped Warblers
around today with one Eastern Phoebe. Two Turkey Vultures were over the house
yesterday.

I have also done a couple of short watches at Kimberly Park, Neenah - Wow if
that number of wildfowl were in the UK there would be hundreds of birders there
all the time!
There was a 2nd winter Glaucous Gull there on Tuesday before the snow came.
(Sorry couldn't post at the time as Internet isn't connected yet). I couldn't
relocate it this afternoon but there was an adult Bonaparte's Gull and a Common
Loon there.

Looking forward to some exciting sightings.

Regards

Stuart Malcolm

Appleton,
Outagamie County