[wisb] Whooping Cranes and Photography

  • From: Cindy Scherwinski <anahar@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 05:34:51 -0500

Good Afternoon Listers,
You may recall the post three weeks ago re: the sighting of four Whooping
Cranes in the Rangeline Flowage area of the Mead Wildlife area.

On a whim, my husband and I ventured out to the area from our home in Portage
County, photography equipment in tow. We should have purchased a lottery
ticket, as we sighted the four Whoopers in a field about a half-mile from the
road. While it was a thrill just to view them through the binoculars, imagine
our excitement when the cranes took flight from the field, gliding over the
flowage, landing on the shore opposite the road where we were parked.

We were afforded wonderful views of the birds and it wasn't until several
minutes after they landed that we noticed they were in the vicinity of a
nesting pair of Bald Eagles. At one point, one of the eagles "buzzed" the
cranes which made them very nervous giving Al an opportunity to take a
photograph of the four Whooping Cranes with a Bald Eagle. Positively a once in
a lifetime opportunity.

From the time we first sighted the Whooping Cranes until they flew off was only
about 20 minutes - but a moment we won't soon forget.

Al contacted Operation Migration and reported our sighting and offered to share
his photographs. While they aren't the 'best' photograph's, it was the
opportunity he was given. When we were told by Operation Migration that they
were able to identify only two of the birds, Al enlarged one of the photographs
and by overexposing the image, gave Operation Migration a clear view of all the
bands on the Cranes.

Operation Migration has posted Al's photograph's on their Facebook page and
also on their web site. You can access the site and click on "In The Field" and
scroll down to the April 18th posting:
http://www.operationmigration.org/Field_Journal.html

All of the photos that Al took were taken with a 500m Nikkor and 1.4x converter

Also included in the posting on the web site is some very sobering observations
 by "individuals who, at best, are ignorant of the dangers of their approaches
represent to the cranes, or sadly, to whom their photos are more important to
them than the safety of the birds."

A sobering reminder for all of us who spent time outdoors.

Thanks for checking out the site.

Cindy Bergeron Scherwinski
Plover, WI (Portage County)