[wisb] Lark Sparrow, etc

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 19:58:27 -0500

It looks like most of what I saw today has already been reported so
will fill in just a few things.  On Breezy Pt Rd and 151 there were
10 Pectoral Sandpipers and 20 Wilson's Snipe.
While the Franklin's Gull was not at Harvey/60, it was at Schoeneberg
Marsh this morning, sitting on the flooded road running east.
Bonaparte's Gulls were also present.  There was one pair of Red-
necked Grebes, plus the Eared Grebe.  It was more straight out, near
the Red-neckeds this morning.

V pond had both yellowlegs, 35 Pectoral Sandpipers and 1 Dunlin.
There were several hundred Bonaparte's Gulls, along with various
waterfowl, and one Bald Eagle.

Pheasant Branch was very quiet, except for some Yellow-rumped Warblers.

Arena boat landing was even more quiet!

Spring Green Preserve had a Lark Sparrow sitting near the kiosk.
There were quite a few Field Sparrows, 1 Vesper Sparrow, both
meadowlarks;  the Western was along the west trail near where the
Mockingbird sang.  (It only sang a few times.)

The most enjoyable spots today were Schoeneberg Marsh, V pond and
Spring Green Preserve.

A side note:  when I got to Baxter's Hollow, I discovered that the
road is closed, right at the beginning.  Does anyone know if they
intend to open it later this spring?

For the day about 104 species, and it was great to see grass and
soil, with no snow covering all of it!

One last thought:  it is hard to believe that the White River Marsh
trip is a week from this Sat, while the Horicon Marsh festival is a
week after that and still a week later is the WSO La Crosse
convention.  We need some real spring weather that lasts so the
migrants can start pouring in!

Daryl Tessen
Appleton, WI