[wisb] Milwaukee Lakefront, 4/20/11 - 45+ Caspian Terns, plus a new life bird!

  • From: "B.G. Sloan" <bgsloan2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 17:14:19 -0700 (PDT)

The weather today was surprisingly OK. Or perhaps I should say that at least
there was no wintry precipitation. :-)

Three new BIGBY birds today, bringing by 2011 Milwaukee BIGBY count to 111
species.

Some highlights:

* Caspian Tern. As I was making a circuit of Lakeshore State Park (LSP), I
noticed a flock of gulls on the park's south lawn. Something seemed odd about
some of the "gulls". There was black on the tops of their heads. Closer
scrutiny with binoculars showed them to be Caspian Terns mixed in with the
gulls. The terns were constantly taking off and returning. As I counted and
recounted, the number of terns fluctuated. My high count was approximately 45
birds, the most I've ever seen at one time in my life!! Definitely brightened
an otherwise gray day. Pretty cool birding experience!!! I also saw several
more as I worked my way up the lakefront, but I have no idea whether or not I'd
already seen these individuals in LSP. 2011 BIGBY species #109.

* Forster's Tern. As I was counting Caspian Terns I noticed two smallish terns
hanging out together in the mix of terns and gulls. Closer inspection showed
them to be Forster's Terns. 2011 BIGBY species #110. Even better, it's a new
life bird for me!!! Brightened my day even more!!! :-)

* Bonaparte's Gull. Hanging out in the surf at North Point. Very attractive and
dainty looking bird. 2011 BIGBY species #111.

* Whitey the Mallard is still behind the art museum. No other Mallards were
there. He was hanging out with a few Red-breasted Mergansers. He's been there
since February 25th.

* Red-breasted Merganser. At least 100+ birds on my route. A LOT of posturing
going on between rival males. Seemed comical to me, but I imagine it's deadly
serious business for them.

* Horned Grebe. Still 10-12 of them hanging around. Watched a Red-breasted
Merganser harrass a Horned Grebe, trying to steal the small fish the grebe held
in its bill. The grebe dived several times with its prey when the merganser got
too close.

* Common Loon. One bird diving in LSP inner lagoon. Good close views!

* Double-crested Cormorant. A 10-bird flyover at LSP.

* There are still some Scaups around. Maybe 100 birds at most, down from the
thousands of birds hanging out this winter. And there are still a few
Goldeneyes and Buffleheads in the mix.

* If you walk through Lakeshore State Park these days and look down, you may be
struck by the number of crawfish claws on the sidewalk, especially at the north
entrance. I asked Tom Kroeger (LSP manager) about this, and he told me that
gulls snatch crawfish out of the water and land on the sidewalk to remove the
claws. Interesting!!

* I was standing at the railing behind the art museum idly watching merganser
antics. A Ring-billed Gull hit the water and came up with a small fish. The
bird flew onto the art museum lawn and started calling loudly with the fish
still clenched in its bill. Another Ring-billed Gull landed next to the first
bird, walked up to it, and took the fish and swallowed it. The first bird did
not seem upset, and did not protest (unusual for gulls). I'm thinking this
maybe has something to do with breeding/courtship rituals??

Bernie Sloan
Milwaukee