[wisb] Milwaukee, Glaucous Gulls and Savannah Sparrow

  • From: Zachary Sutton <zaksutton2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2013 07:59:33 -0600

After work I ran down to Milwaukee and stopped at South Shore Yacht Club.
 Waterfowls numbers were huge with well over 100 individual REDHEADS I
counted and a single Glaucous Gull (2nd cycle bird, I believe).  I then ran
down to underneath the Hoan Bridge, I did not know about the Harlequin Duck
so I did not check out by the lighthouse, but back up the river I had two
more Glaucous Gulls and at one point they were fighting each other for a
fish.
Finally I ran by Northpoint and found nothing until I turned into a parking
lot to turn around when a SAVANNAH SPARROW jumped off of the road and flew
down a ways to continue eating at the edge of the plowed snow.  I had seen
one at the Coast Guard Impoundment but was surprised to find one elsewhere.

Mediocre (at best!) photos of the gulls and sparrow:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77072538@N08/8456839937/

Zak Sutton
Waukesha, Waukesha Co