[wisb] Milwaukee BIGBY update

  • From: "B.G. Sloan" <bgsloan2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 12:01:24 -0700 (PDT)

I've kinda fallen behind on my BIGBY reporting due to tax work, other business,
bad weather, and some traveling.

Trying to play catch-up, I'll list my eight most recent BIGBY birds. I've
probably reported some of these already:

100. Winter Wren – 4/5/11 – Lake Park
101. Hermit Thrush 4/5/11 – Lake Park
102. Black-crowned Night-Heron – 4/7/11 – Four birds, Veterans Park Lagoon
103. Double-crested Cormorant – 4/8/11 – 5 birds flying off of McKinley Beach
104. Northern Rough-winged Swallow – 4/11/11 – Lakeshore State Park
105. Wild Turkey – 4/11/11 – One male on berm, south end of Summerfest park
106. Henslow’s Sparrow – 4/11/22 – Lakeshore State Park prairie
107. Blue-winged Teal – 4/12/11 – Male/female pair behind art museum
108. Eastern Screech Owl – 4/13 – Neighborhood (heard)

Highlights, BIGBY and non-BIGBY:

* Wild Turkey is the obvious highlight...my former Milwaukee BIGBY nemesis
bird. Saw one south of Lakeshore State Park and heard one in Lake Park during
the same week!

* The Black-crowned Night Heron sighting was pretty cool. The most BCNHs I've
ever seen at once (four birds).

* Henslow's Sparrow. Always a treat to observe this bird running through the
grasses like a mouse.

* Eastern Screech Owl. Not a particularly rare bird, but the setting was
unusual. I'd picked up a sandwich at Jimmy John's on Brady Street. Halfway home
I heard a screech owl call four times in the middle of a really urban
neighborhood in the early afternoon.

* Lots of Brown-headed Cowbirds in Lake Park. At least 50. Most I've ever seen
in Milwaukee.

* Ran into a small flock of Golden-crowned Kinglets in Lake Park. They were
headed towards where I was standing in some brush, so I stood still. Eventually
they reached me, foraging in the brush. One of them almost landed on my
shoulder! They are such cute birds, and fun to watch at close quarters.

* Eastern Towhee. Singing his "drink-your-tea" song in the ravine between the
North Point Lighthouse and the Lake Park golf course. I love that song. Reminds
me of my old southern Indiana BIGBY route. First time I've heard the song in
Milwaukee. I stood and listened for several minutes!

Bernie Sloan
Milwaukee